Our goal is to improve each smile so Veterans can continue to change the world.
Our services are provided from qualified dentists and periodontists in the Smiling Veterans Dental Network. The listing of our offering and descriptions are:
Periodontal Treatments – Also known as deep cleaning, this service removes plaque and tartar deposits on each tooth at its root to address gum disease to support gum tissue health.
Implants – A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that resembles a tooth or group of teeth. Dental implants can be used to support several dental prostheses, including crowns, implant-supported bridges or dentures.
Dentures – Dentures are removable appliances that can replace missing teeth and help restore a smile. They can be made to closely resemble natural teeth, so the appearance does not drastically change. For natural teeth lost, replacing missing teeth will benefit a Veteran’s appearance and health because dentures make it easier to eat and speak better than without teeth. With teeth lose, facial muscles can sag and make a Veteran look older. Dentures help fill the appearance of a Veteran’s face and profile.
Oral Surgery Extractions – A surgical dental extraction involves the removal of teeth that are not easily accessible inside the mouth.
Alveoloplasty – Alveoloplasty involves the surgical smoothing and re-contouring of a Veteran’s jawbone ridge.
Crowns (Caps) – A crown is a type of dental restoration which completely caps or encircles a tooth or dental implant.
Bone Grafting – Bone grafting is a procedure that uses transplanted bone to repair and rebuild diseased or damaged teeth.
Veneers – Veneers are ultra-thin, custom-made porcelain laminates that are bonded directly to the teeth.
Dental Bridges – Dental bridges are false teeth, which are fused between two porcelain crowns to fill in the area left by a missing tooth.
Bonding – Bonding is a process in which an enamel-like dental composite material is applied to a tooth’s surface, sculpted into shape, hardened and polished.
Gum Lifts – A gum lift is a dental procedure that raises and sculpts the Veteran’s gum line by reshaping the tissue and/or underlying bones to create the appearance of longer and/or more symmetrical teeth.
Are you eligible for Services?
Answer the following questions to see if you qualify for services with Smiling Veterans.
- Have you served in the United States military?
- Were you discharged honorably?
- Do you reside in one of the following counties in Southern California (Los Angeles, Imperial, Riverside, Orange, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Ventura)?
- Can you provide authorized documentation (i.e. military identification, California driver’s license) to prove your residency and military service?
- Are you willing to come to the Smiling Veteran office for a thorough dental examination with X rays and complete the necessary paperwork for complimentary dental services?
- Are you willing to write a letter to thank Smiling Veterans and our donors for your no cost services?
- Are you willing to share a “before” Smiling Veterans photograph and an “after” Smiling Veterans photograph with our donors and nonprofit?
If you answer yes to all the questions above, there is a strong probability that you are the perfect candidate to receive complimentary services from Smiling Veterans.
THE SMILING VETERANS EXAMINATION PROCESS
Since every month is unique, a thorough examination must be completed by the periodontist prior if you are approved for services. Medical and client paperwork must also be completed in the office before the examination. Therefore, it is helpful to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to complete the necessary paperwork. The examination and dental services will not be performed during the same appointment.
After the paperwork is finished, the Veteran will be invited into the examination room to begin the dental examination. Dental exams usually include taking X-rays and photographs, as well as going over your dental history, and performing a thorough dental exam.
- Examination —examine and check on gum disease, worn dentition, or other problems.
- X-rays & Photographs— These diagnostic images will give more information about the health and structure of your teeth, jaws, and bones, and aid in tooth restoration. Photographs will be captured representing your “before” photo.
- Conversation about your dental goals — Based on your Smiling Veterans application, the Smiling Veteran professional will discuss your concerns and discuss your options.
- Treatment plan — A Smiling Veterans treatment plan will be proposed that addresses your dental needs and explains the treatment process.
- Sign-Off – If you agree with the Smiling Veterans treatment plan, you will sign the plan and schedule the appointment(s) to address your oral concerns.
As every patient is as different as every mouth, Smiling Veterans professionals will support EACH Veteran throughout the process and answer your questions. After services are completed, a “after” photograph will be taken. A thank you letter written by the serviced Veteran is encouraged since these charitable donors have covered the costs of your services. Following your completed services, we are confident you will be able to smile and thrive more at home, work, and in life!